Society for the Assistance of Ladies in Reduced Circumstances

 (Registered as a Charity in England & Wales No. 205798)

Since 1886 we have provided

Grants for women in need

About the Society
Latest news
Who we help
Grants for organisations
How you can help us
Contacting us
Table of contents


Examples of our help Enquiry form What "our ladies" say.. Other sources of help

Other sources of help...

Unfortunately, there are some purposes for which we are unable to offer assistance. Some of these are listed below, together with suggestions where help may be found. All suggestions are made in good faith, but the Society does not endorse the goods or services provided and cannot be held responsible for any information provided by third parties.


There are many benevolent funds that help people who are working, or have worked, in a particular trade or profession, and their dependents. Often they can be more generous than us. In order that we may give priority to those who are not eligible for help from any other fund we ask that wherever possible you contact any other occupational benevolent funds that may be able to help you. At the present time we are unable to accept applications from women who are of state pension age.



We do not provide accommodation. If you are homeless and need help finding somewhere to live, you may find the Crisis web site useful.


Care and Nursing Homes

We do not operate or assist with fees for care or nursing homes, nor can we give advice and information about finding a suitable home or meeting the cost.  The Care Directory  contains a wealth of material relating to care and care provision in older age. It is intended to help people be fully informed about all aspects of care and also contains a nationwide listing of care providers. Counsel and Care  (now part of IndependentAge) specialises in information and advice on issues around care for older people (aged 60 and over) living in the UK. Compare Care Homes provide an in-depth search facility for all types of nursing, residential, and retirement homes.



We only provide financial assistance. Contact the Elderly is a national charity with local groups all over the UK, helping combat the loneliness so often felt by very elderly people who live alone.



We are unable to offer counselling for emotional, relationship or any other problems. There are many organisations that do so, and details may be found in your local library or by surfing the internet



The society is unable to offer debt counselling, or make grants for the repayment of debts, including

    bank loans and overdrafts

    credit cards and store cards

    mail order catalogues

    mortgage arrears

    rent arrears

    council tax arrears

    overpaid benefits

nor does it assist with bankruptcy fees.


Before taking out further loans to repay existing debts, you should consider taking expert independent advice. This may be from a charity such as StepChange (formerly called Consumer Credit Counselling Service) or your local Citizen's Advice Bureau. If you need legal advice you could visit Community Legal Advice



We are unable to offer help with either fees or living expenses. Most local libraries have a copy of the Educational Grants Directory and other publications. There is information on the internet about funding for higher education in the England. There are also separate sites in respect of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland where the rules are different. Postgraduate students may qualify for help from Futures for Women



The Society does not campaign for equality between women and men in the UK on pay, pensions, poverty, justice and politics. Fawcett Society is the UKs leading campaign for equality between women and men.


Funeral expenses

If you are in receipt of certain state benefits you may be eligible for help with the cost of a funeral for which you are responsible by way of a Government grant. Whilst the Society is unable to help with the cost of funerals or headstones there are many charities that do so. They are usually ones that help people who have worked in particular trades or professions, or their dependants, and many are members of the Association of Charitable Organisations (until recently known as the Association of Charity Officers).


Health Care

We are unable to pay for private health care or medical treatment



We are unable to offer help with the cost of holidays. There are many charities that do so, and details may be found in your local library or by surfing the internet. National Benevolent Fund for the Aged arranges group holidays for older people.


Legal advice and fees

We are unable to offer legal advice. If you need advice about  debt, education, employment or claiming benefits we recommend that you contact you local Citizens' Advice Bureau or visit  Community Legal Advice for further information. We do not make grants towards legal fees.


Rent deposits

Many local authorities operate an Assisted Deposit Scheme for people who wish to rent in the private sector but are unable to find a deposit. You may also find the Crisis web site useful.